Hey all! I’m finally back from no camera land, having finally found a cheap and usable battery charger for my 2700A batteries. So during that time period, I’ve just ended my 4th year in University, and am now getting ready for exams~ Since my papers are rather late in November, I’ll have the time to do a bit of baking. I’ll also be getting down to doing that step by step guide for my cheesecake pan preparation soon, but for now I have another muffin recipe from the ever lovely Nigella Lawson.
Now I know I’ve posted a chocolate chip muffin recipe before and not too long ago as well, but these muffins deserve a post of their own. I found a video in youtube showing a segment of one of Nigella’s shows from a chocolate episode, where she made a cake, brownies, cheesecake and these muffins of course. I mean, just staring at her making these things is just drool worthy.
The muffins, of course, were easy to make in just three easy steps. 1) Mix dry ingredients together, 2) Mix wet ingredients together, and 3) Combine wet and dry together and bake! Of course the main rule of making quickbreads (which include muffins) is DO NOT OVERMIX, else they would come out tough and dry. I’m not much of a baking guru to explain such stuff, so I’m just going to leave links to a more detailed explanation here and here (Google books never cease to amaze me).
So being a chocolate nutter, I made these as soon as my last day of semester ended. I couldn’t resist eating one as soon as they came out of the oven, savouring the melted chocolate pools on top of the deep earthy brown tops. The best part of these muffins were that they could be reheated the next day (or out of the fridge) and they would still be soft and fluffy!
Seriously, after I began baking muffins at home, I’ve never bought any from cafes I’ve gone to (I think they come from the same producer unless they claim to make them), its good as well, cause I get to make them healthy too! But enough with that, its time for the recipe!
Nigella’s Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Nigella Lawson (Feast)
- 250g (1 3/4 cups) plain flour (I used 1/2 plain flour, 1/2 wholemeal flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 175g (1 3/4 cups) caster sugar
- 150g chocolate chips
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 90ml (over a 1/3 of a cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Combine the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, caster sugar and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Whisk the milk, vegetable oil, the egg and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix till the mixture just turns runny. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
EDIT: I got the vegetable oil measurements in cups wrong… I was wondering why 3/4 cups of vegetable oil sounded too much. Its over 1/3 of a cup! Sorry =P